Mount Lourdes works to promote the holistic development of every student, focusing on their academic, social, emotional and spiritual development. Through our pastoral system we work to foster a caring, supportive environment in which our students feel secure and valued. We aim to help students develop the personal and life skills essential to take their places in a challenging modern society.
Head Teacher's Welcome
I am delighted to welcome you to Mount Lourdes Grammar School, Enniskillen.
Our school was established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1909, to provide an education, underpinned by a Christian ethos, to the girls of Fermanagh. I am pleased and proud that the traditions of our founders have been maintained to this day. Students coming to Mount Lourdes continue to experience a welcoming environment in which they can fully develop their abilities and talents, within a school community committed to Christian values.
We are justly proud of our students’ academic achievements and of our pastoral system which creates a caring, supportive environment in which all can flourish. Our dedicated staff work with parents to support students throughout their time in Mount Lourdes.
While we look to the past with pride, we look to the future with optimism. Today we have a modern school equipped with excellent facilities. Mount Lourdes is well-placed to meet the demands of the Northern Ireland Curriculum and in doing so, to prepare our students to take their places in a challenging, modern society.
I am confident that this website will give you an insight into the exciting and hugely varied life of our school.
The School Aims
Recognising that everybody is unique, the school strives to create a community atmosphere so that each student and member of staff is respected and appreciated as a person of importance.
• to motivate our students in the pursuit of a high standard of academic achievement and critical thinking by providing a varied range of learning experiences in a stimulating environment.
• to ensure that our students have access to a curriculum which makes explicit the links between school-based learning and Life and
• to enable each student to make the most of her talents by providing opportunities for participation in a range of aesthetic, cultural, skills based and leisure activities.
• to create and maintain a pastoral environment in which the needs of the individual student are recognised; an attitude of self-discipline and responsibility for her own actions is encouraged and a sense of self-worth is fostered.
• to foster a sense of team spirit among staff and to encourage each teacher to develop his/her personal qualities and professional expertise.
• to work in partnership with parents in the promotion of the overall good of the student, acknowledging the role of parents as primary educators of the child.
• to help students acquire and develop Christian values, attitudes and moral standards - based on Catholic teaching - that will influence and inform their choices and behaviour throughout
• to promote among staff and students a sense of personal identity and citizenship and encourage mutual respect for cultural diversity.
When Mount Lourdes Grammar School was established in 1909 by the Sisters of Mercy, its
founders were inspired by the need to provide an education that would qualify the girls of
Fermanagh for the full range of employment opportunities that were available at the time.
That vision continues to guide the work of the school today.
Over the years since its foundation, as pupil numbers grew and academic requirements changed, the school evolved in response to the new demands placed on it. Buildings were added, providing for boarders and for specialist subjects. The site, a hillside close to the River Erne and Enniskillen town centre, is now largely covered by buildings, which have been refurbished to provide suitable accommodation for the changing curriculum.
Mount Lourdes has resources which facilitate the delivery of the Northern Ireland Curriculum to the highest standards. The school is a member of the Fermanagh Learning Community which provides students with access to an extended range of courses at post sixteen level.
Students coming to Mount Lourdes will experience a welcoming environment in which they can develop their abilities and talents to the fullest extent. We endeavour to give students opportunities and experiences that are designed to help them develop into mature young adults and make informed decisions about their futures.